Counseling for Highly Sensitive People
Highly Sensitive People (HSPs) are individuals who tend to process sensory information – light, noise, pain, and hunger – in a deeper way. HSPs pick up on details that others might miss and are affected by changes in the environment and in internal experiences.
If any of the experiences below sound familiar to you, you may be highly sensitive.
- Do you ever feel emotionally exhausted by your acute awareness of your environment?
- Is your ability to pick up on subtle changes in the moods of people around you overwhelming?
- Do you have many intense emotions that affect you physically and psychologically? For example, empathy for others, fear of failure, or difficulty self-regulating emotions?
- Do you feel a need to retreat to a place of quiet, privacy, and peace to reach a calm state?
What is High Sensitivity?
A Highly Sensitive Person is a neurodivergent individual who exhibits a personality trait known as sensory-processing sensitivity, or SPS. Research shows that HSPs have a highly developed sensitivity to stimuli within their central nervous system. Although High Sensitivity is not considered a disorder, it can lead to increased anxiety and depression, low self-esteem, and/or other mental health concerns.
Because HSPs process experiences, emotions, and thoughts on a deep level, they are highly aware and compassionate. Increased emotional sensitivity can provoke strong physical reactions that lead to feelings of sensory overload.
If you are highly sensitive, you are not alone.
High sensitivity is an innate personality trait found in about 15-20% of the population. Being Highly Sensitive means you have a unique survival strategy that calls for being observant before acting. You may also have many intense emotions that affect you physically and psychologically. For example, a deep empathy for others, fear of failure, feeling overwhelmed by too much stimuli, or difficulty self-regulating emotions.
Challenges of Being a Highly Sensitive Adult
There is nothing wrong with you – being highly sensitive can actually be your superpower!
Highly sensitive personality traits can help create a rich and complex life. However, being highly attuned to subtle changes in your environment or to the moods of people around you can also be emotionally exhausting.
Being a HSP isn’t a disorder, and there isn’t anything you need to “fix.” If you find you are having difficulty navigating relationships, anxiety, intense emotions, or feelings of overwhelm that make it difficult to live the life you want, counseling for highly sensitive people can help.
Benefits of Therapy for Highly Sensitive People
Therapy is an incredibly effective way for HSPs to address their unique struggles in a safe setting.
Through therapy tailored for HSPs, you can gain greater insight into how your sensitivity impacts your daily life. With increased understanding of your own experiences, you will learn to make more mindful choices when facing difficult circumstances and emotions that have felt overwhelming in the past.
Coping Skills and Therapeutic Approaches for Highly Sensitive Adults
In therapy as an HSP, you can:
- Develop strategies for managing overwhelming emotions
- Build feelings of safety and comfort in life situations
- Practice self-care techniques that bring peace and balance.
- Manage your heightened sensitivity to lead a more balanced life
- Explore ways of honoring your sensitivities without being held back by them
- Gain tools for navigating social situations – such as work, school, or family gatherings – without becoming overwhelmed
- Get help with recognizing and managing intense emotions
- Find support in dealing with overwhelm and improving self-care
- Gain an understanding of the impact of hyperarousal on day-to-day life
- Develop coping strategies and build inner strength.
- Receive assistance with common HSP issues, such as overwhelmed emotion and persistent fatigue
- Discuss triggers, stressors, and emotional needs
Our goal is to help you become more aware of how your sensitivity affects you and to provide you with the necessary tools to lead a happier life.
Meet our Therapists
Counseling can help you learn to accept yourself for who you are, cope with life’s challenges, and develop long-term strategies for success. We’d love to support you and your growth in therapy.
Live a full and meaningful life as a Highly Sensitive Person
You don’t have to suffer alone. Our therapists can help you Grow, Heal, and Thrive.