As adults, we often judge ourselves more harshly than we would ever judge a friend or partner. We may say, “I shouldn’t feel this way;” “I should be able to figure this out like everyone else;” “Why do I always overreact?;” or “What is wrong with me?”
If any of these thoughts sound familiar, you are not alone. The truth is that we all struggle with things about ourselves or our relationships that we would like to work on and improve.
How can therapy help me?
Trying to power through our obstacles as adults without telling others about our suffering and pain can cause that shame and self-judgment to fester and multiply. Often, people will lose confidence in themselves and question their importance, value, and ability. Self-compassion is difficult to master. Working with a therapist can help you discover new ways to consider old problems, give voice to unspoken worries or concerns, and guide you toward greater self-acceptance and a better relationship with yourself and others.
Adult Therapy & Navigating Lived Experience
Adults who didn’t get their needs met as children often experience trouble with anxiety, unresolved past trauma/post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, and/or physical health issues such as chronic health illnesses or chronic pain. Suffering alone makes our struggles that much more painful.
We sometimes try to hide our pain and difficulties from others because we are ashamed, don’t want people to think of us poorly, or assume that everyone else has it all together.
If any of these feelings resonate with you, we can help. Our team at Health and Healing Therapy is passionate about helping adults detach from their shame and stop the destructive cycle of self-criticism and negative beliefs. By taking the first step and just telling yourself that “I’m important and I need help,” you are finally giving yourself the opportunity to receive the available support that you deserve.
Individual Therapy for Adults
There are so many difficult, stressful, and devastating experiences that we may face in our adult lives. When we are faced with one or more of those painful circumstances, one of the best things we can do for ourselves is to reach out and allow others to support us. Sometimes, that can be the role of family and friends. Other times, it is more helpful to have an objective professional who can help you navigate whatever difficult and stressful experience you are enduring.
Some of the concerns facing adults that our clinical team can be most helpful with are:
Depression & Anxiety
- Decreasing stress and anxiety
- High anxiety, panic attacks, and learning how to recognize causes of anxiety and ways to relax and regulate
- Depression, feeling down or hopeless, crying spells, a loss of motivation, or withdrawal from other people
- Diminishing depressive episodes
- Learning skills to reduce and cope with anxiety, worry, sadness, and depression
PTSD & Trauma
- Working through complex feelings, thoughts, and beliefs about past trauma(s)
- Processing trauma such as emotional abuse, sexual abuse, neglect, assault, or an event that has lead to nightmares or fixation
- Confronting past trauma and finding ways to feel more calm, safe, present, focused, and confident
- Beginning to feel more comfortable in the body as it may have been hurt during a traumatic experience
ADHD & Hyperactivity
- Becoming less scattered and unorganized due to distraction challenges and ADHD while learning more executive functioning skills to help with motivation, organization, and decision-making
- Learning and utilizing the skills needed for goal setting, time management, and the reduction of procrastination to help reach self-fulfillment
- Issues with poor concentration and hyperactivity
- Changing unwanted and unhelpful thinking patterns, including self-criticism
- Improving self-confidence and self-esteem
- Low self-esteem, low self-confidence, or self-directed negative thoughts
- Decreasing negative and false beliefs that stem from other’s criticisms and unreasonable expectations
- Developing new and realistic beliefs about abilities, efforts, and intentions
- Creating new, positive self-beliefs and patterns of self-care to replace the self-critical voice
Relationships, Family Dynamics, Grief, & Loss
- Difficulty communicating with other people such as family members or friends
- Dealing with a change in family dynamics such as divorce, separation, moving away, or a family death
- Learning more helpful strategies of how to talk to, interact with, and parent challenging teenagers
- Working through relationship conflicts and miscommunications
- Navigating relationship needs, wants, and boundaries
- Eliminating people-pleasing in relationships
- Creating desired relationships that have so far been impossible due to roadblocks that serve as obstacles to gaining a sense of belonging and connection
- Questions or issues with yourself or others regarding sexuality, gender, or other LGBTQIA+ concerns
- Processing grief and mourning the loss of a loved one from divorce, separation, or an ended relationship
- Facing end of life issues due to a life-threatening illness
- Coping with and navigating life transitions (moving, break-ups, career and relationship changes)
- Identifying values, goals, and purpose to help you get where you want to go and become who you want to be
- Figuring out the whole “adulting” process and growing in self-confidence
- Developing helpful skills and approaches to navigating “adulting” and other life transitions
Therapy can also help adults manage frustration and reactive anger while learning how to express and use anger management in positive ways.
Adulthood & Embracing Continued Growth
Adulthood is full of amazing experiences mixed with challenges for us to overcome. We often need to develop new strategies and tools to conquer the undesirable and distressing obstacles we encounter.
Meet our Therapists
At Health and Healing Therapy, our therapists have decades of experience supporting adults through the unwanted and unexpected. If you feel you could benefit from the support and skills available through therapy, we would be honored to help you Heal, Grow, and Thrive while you create the life you want.
You are important, and you deserve to create the life you want.
You don’t have to suffer alone. Our therapists can help you Grow, Heal, and Thrive.