Teenagers can have all kinds of maturity struggles as they navigate their emerging identities in the journey to adulthood. Teen counseling provides a safe and supportive space for your adolescent to identify their feelings, express their thoughts, and explore their beliefs. Teens also learn to examine their behaviors and decisions. As a collaborative process, therapy for teens empowers young people to connect with themselves, feel worthy, find their inner wisdom, and begin to live a life they love.
Parenting Challenges & Adolescence
Perhaps your teen has changed so much that you aren’t even sure who they are anymore. Maybe you have caught them lying, saying awful things to you, skipping school, self-harming, drinking, smoking pot, breaking curfew, etc.
- Is the respect you want from them not something they feel they need to give to you anymore?
- Are you worried about their lack of social connections because they rarely go out to spend time with other teens?
- Are you concerned because sometimes they seem depressed and unhappy, but then suddenly become angry, frustrated, and blame things on you and others?
Parenting your teen may be one of the toughest jobs you’ll ever have. So, you can also benefit from receiving some supportive counseling. A therapist can provide tools and techniques so you can better help and guide your teen in coping with whatever is distressing and holding them back.
Teen Counseling Can Help
“We don’t know what we don’t know.”
Sometimes, parents don’t know how to best help their teens through this difficult time. Or, even if you know how to try to help, your teen may not feel comfortable talking with you about what they are going through. They may feel embarrassed, uncertain, ashamed, or fearful you will get angry with them if they share how they really feel. Facilitating a therapy opportunity so your teen can sort through the confusing things they are experiencing within a private, safe, and supportive place with a trusted adult can be one of the most helpful and kind things you can do. Some concerns that we help teens navigate are:
- Impulse control
- Anger problems
- OCD, fear avoidance, rituals, and compulsions
- Socialization concerns
- Peer problems
- School refusal
- Adolescent self-harm
- Gender confusion or gender dysphoria
- Trauma or relationship violence
- Substance abuse
A teen counseling specialist can help both you and your teen get through this difficult time and on to a better place. Knowing your teenager is getting the help they need may also allow you to rediscover a sense of hopeful about their future.
Connection, Commitment, Consistency, and Care
Our teen and adolescent therapists will partner with you to help your teen work through whatever they are struggling with. They can begin to feel better about themselves and experience the joy their teenage years can bring.
- Counseling for teens needs a number of components for it to be as successful as possible. We need parents to commit to bringing their teen consistently to counseling. To a teen, a week seems like a month, and a month seems like forever. So much can happen in the emotional and physical life of a teen in a day.
- Teen counseling sessions are scheduled weekly. We ask you, the parent, to make a commitment to agree you and your teen will make therapy a priority. We ask that you ensure your teen will participate in therapy consistently.
- Our therapists will do their best to connect to your teenager while building a safe place where your adolescent can talk, express, disagree, challenge, and explore their thoughts, beliefs, confusion, emotions, etc.
As adults, we need to remember that building trust and connection within any relationship takes time. And, sometimes earning the trust of a teen takes a little longer. Teens need to realize that we can be trusted adults who won’t judge them. That, instead, we will wholeheartedly accept them and won’t tell them what to do. In order for us to get to know your teen well – and to do it successfully – we ask that you are patient with this process.
Meet our Therapists
At Health and Healing Therapy, the therapists who specialize in counseling adolescents are committed to empowering and supporting our teen clients. We want the young people we work with to know they are special, smart, accepted, valued, amazing, and extremely cared for.
Connect to and embrace the amazing person you are.
You don’t have to suffer alone. Our therapists can help you Grow, Heal, and Thrive.